Monday, August 1, 2016

Pennsylvania After Dark

“Owls should be tempted in every way to live amongst us…That they do no mischief is absolutely beyond all doubt; that they do an enormous amount of good is as absolutely on proof.”
--Philip Stewart Robinson, "Birds of the Wave and Woodland", 1894

June 23, 2016, 8:35pm
Gear-laden and ready for almost anything, I watched the sun as it sank below the horizon. My watch read 8:35pm and the sun had just disappeared, illuminating the clouds with golden-orange light. It looked like rain might come in the morning, but for now, the night would be beautiful. Our group piled into the car and began our expedition. After a few easy miles, we parked at the end of a road along the east bank of the Little Schuylkill River (pronounced skoo-cull), the likes of which flow into the Schuylkill River at Port Clinton; miles along working its way past Valley Forge, where Washington and his rebel army spent several brutal winters for the sake of us all. From there, the water flows into the Delaware River at Philadelphia, then to the Atlantic. History was made. Tonight, I was making history of my own, in a more personal sense. I wasn’t going to cross a river to fight Hessians, Indians, or chart unclaimed frontier; I didn’t bring that sort of equipment. Armed with a camera, binoculars, and a spotlight, I was going to find a very special bird, which to me, is adventure in itself.

For two years, soon to be more, I have been trapping Northern Saw-whet Owls (Aegolius acadicus) in Arkansas, a state through which their migration was unknown before 2015. Like many states, Pennsylvania sees an increase in saw-whets during fall migration, but here, too, is a breeding population. Knowledge of their exact numbers in the state is limited in part due to their secretive nature, and in part due to being understudied. During the breeding season, they have a preference for riparian woodland with the thick cover for roosting and cavity-riddled deciduous trees for nesting. In Pennsylvania, their cover comes in the form of rhododendron thickets and hemlock trees. Among the smallest owls in North America, saw-whets are easy to miss, as I would learn after attempting to find them for the first time…and the second, the third, the fourth.

Near the Little Schuylkill, the habitat looks perfect for saw-whet owls. Mature hemlocks rise above the surrounding forest, a host of little ones intermingling with deciduous trees below. Nearby, rhododendron grows thick along streams, rivulets down the cool, north-facing slopes. It was in this perfect habitat, a few mornings before, I decided to play back the saw-whets’ call just to see if there would be a response. The night before brought rain. Mist and cool temperatures carried over into morning, which to a saw-whet must have been heaven. Enshrouded somewhere beyond visibility, a response was given. Skiiieeew, was the ascending whine from near the river below. After two hours of heavy bushwhacking and no owl, I designated it a win for the birds. A few days later, I decided to try again. This time at night.

Habitat along the little Schuylkill River, Schuylkill County, PA
As the evening darkened, I tried playback to pinpoint the owl’s location. Not only was I surprised to hear a saw-whet respond from the exact same location as a few days before, I was even more surprised by a second response, much closer than the bird that would require bushwhacking again. I opted for the more straightforward location, if the whereabouts of a tiny owl can be called “straightforward”. As one might have expected at night, things weren’t straightforward and the bird was not located. It called several more times, even chattering angrily at something, maybe the intruders. Though tempting, I didn’t enter its domain this night. Our small expedition instead walked on, past a charming, early 1800s, woodland home, and into the trees.

As we listened for saw-whets and other owls, bats patrolled up and down the narrow road cut. Several times, my heart leapt when I thought it could be one of our target owls flying from tree to tree. They let out high-pitched noises as they passed overhead, acrobatically consuming insects on the wing. I didn’t watch them intently, but could almost be sure they were feeding, in part, on the innumerable fireflies. The woods were alive with light. Fireflies of several species danced through the darkness in such number it felt as if dawn had arrived. It’s a regrettable life lived for those who have never found themselves outside on a warm summer night to watch a ballet of fireflies. Wandering through the dark forest, hindered by hemlock bulwarks on all sides, the miniature lanterns provide comfort. It’s one of Mother Nature’s most impressive phenomena.

Nearly as impressive as the fireflies were the stars. Little light pollution makes it to this remote slot. Though I’m no astronomer, I can appreciate the vast variety of stars showing on nights like this. Based on the number of stars showing, I knew it had to be getting late. The saw-whets would not be had, so we decided on sleep in lieu of continuing.

A night out with fireflies across the river from the saw-whets. 
June 24, 2016, 8:41pm
The following night again found me silently wandering the dark forest. Silent relative to humans; the owls knew I was there. With two other biologists, from Mexico, I sat quietly in a grove of hemlocks. The forest around us was eerily quiet, maybe waiting on the rain that was to come later in the night. One saw-whet called from this grove, but it was nowhere to be seen; or heard. I suspect we may have been near the bird’s day-roosting site. Now it was dark and we were once again on the owl’s terms. Looking downslope, we could not see the road where the fireflies danced. Few made it into our quiet cove of hemlocks. We were at home only with flying squirrels, and probably one of the saw-whets watching secretly.

As we walked quietly around the crest of the slope, flying squirrels talked above us. Their voices sometimes reminiscent of a saw-whet’s chit-chit alarm call. Much like chickadees in the daytime, there was no sneaking past these forest sentinels. They sensed our presence and let the whole neighborhood know. Making an agitated phishing sound, I was able to get one close. We looked on as the edge of my flashlight beam caught it mid-glide from one tree to another; about fifteen feet. This was something I had never witnessed before. Landing on the side of a large poplar, the squirrel darted around to give us a look as if to say, “Dare you disturb our kingdom?”, and was off again into the darkness. Flying squirrels are impressive creatures. With extra lengths of skin, attaching wrist to ankle, they are able to glide long distances through the dark forest. The impish mammal seeks out a variety of food from mast and insects to bird eggs.

Turning back, we heard no saw-whet owls…they had won again.

June 26, 2016, 7:35am
After two nights of unsuccessfully trying to locate these secretive owls, it was time for a change of pace. While the cover of night brings victory on the part of saw-whets, the exposure of daylight could provide me easier winnings. I humbly pride myself in being proficient at finding camouflaged creatures. My journey began on the east side of the road paralleling the Little Schuylkill River. On the slope above, one of the saw-whet owls had been heard a few nights earlier. Neither bird called to guide my search, as the morning was beautifully sunny. At the top of the moist, northeast facing slope, I found an intermittent grove of hemlock and white pine. Over the next two hours, I walked silently through the woods, surprisingly free of understory debris. I scoured every evergreen in sight, high and low, to no avail. Several pines and a few hemlocks had remarkably thick crowns, but were hopelessly too tall to give a good search, even with the aid of binoculars. As well as verdant needle-trees, there were several homey deciduous cavities in the area, all of which left me empty handed. Leaving the first bird to spend its day in restful peace, I moved on.

Across the road, down an embankment to the narrow floodplain, is where my next two hours were spent. Unlike the cool, open woods to the east, the riparian tangle I had found myself was already hot and hard to maneuver. I went immediately to the spot where, over a week ago, I had the first saw-whet response. Nearby a lone hemlock stood near three potential cavities. Potential they may have had, but none said a word about a resident owl. Checking tangles of greenbrier and blackberry, I worked my way towards the river. Surely any saw-whet would have vacated the area while listening to me free myself from a tangle of thorns. My shirt was stuck, my pants were stuck, my skin was stuck, my hat was stuck, my camera was stuck. I hung there like a marionette, strings held by mocking owls. It was all I could do to reach the knife in my pocket. Carefully, I cut myself free and charged the last stretch to a hemlock grove on the banks of the Little Schuylkill. This was such a beautiful shelter!

Like the grove from earlier in the morning, this one was largely open between trees. Still, spruce arms closed in all around, darkening the inside and obscuring the rest of the world. A search of the hemlocks and nearby vine tangles ensued.

This day, pride got the better of me. I was the laughing-stock of the forest. The saw-whet owls were victors once more. I was confident in my search at this point, or as confident as one can be when seeking owls. The birds had either rotated roosting sites, were roosting higher up, or were roosting in deciduous trees. The tiny saw-whet is usually known for roosting in low evergreens or in low vine tangles. How dare a live animal deviate from where literature says they should be!

The owls have found sanctuary in these woods, not to be discovered until they’re ready to divulge their most important secrets.

Unnamed creek in saw-whet territory.
June 27, 2016, 8:30pm
Afternoon rains laid peace on the woodlands. Humidity high and trees still dripping, I attempted to find the saw-whets yet again. They gave no response and not a trace was found, despite my best efforts. Adorned with soft feathers for silent flight, water and owls are not a good combination. Their fuzzy feathers do not have the water resistance of other birds, so it’s no wonder they remained silent and hidden. The ghost-owls seemed impossible, almost like I’d been hearing creatures that weren’t really there. Though unproductive in the sense of actually locating an owl, I did find two promising white pines, both giants born in some other era. Their thick crowns looked cozy, yet at 35’ high, getting sights on a saw-whet could prove difficult…and it wouldn’t be happening this night. Like any good naturalist when a wet night is still young, I turned my attention to finding salamanders.

June 30, 2016, 4:00pm
Finally dry from the on-and-off rain of the last few days, two friends and I again decided to search the faithful saw-whet spot. We traipsed up and down the slope east of the river without finding any birds. As opposed to searching for the birds directly, my attention turned to searching for signs of them: pellets, whitewash on trees, and whitewash on the forest floor. There were several protected openings with perches that I’m sure a saw-whet has used to hunt before, but not recently. Two trees had a nice amount of whitewash (a feature created by an owl pooping in the same spot day after day), but no owl. We also learned that one had to look closely to differentiate dried sap from whitewash. Though we found few signs, this was the spot at least one owl inhabited at some point. An accessible tree could have gone accidentally unsearched on our “transect”, but I’m almost certain this bird roosts high in a pine or hemlock.

The last response I heard days earlier had, in fact, sounded higher than I was expecting. We located the two aforementioned white pines and tried to search their boughs, but their height made efforts futile. I suspect this is where the slope individual must be roosting at least part of the time. The tallest white pine lives its life from a ravine that it outgrew over a hundred years ago. Getting to it was not easy. The dry stream leading to it was choked with rhododendron and briars…I was stuck again. Sweaty and bloody by the time I got to the tree, I had almost given up. When the welcoming boughs proved as I high as I thought, I searched as best I could and did give up. The trail on the bottomland owl, too, was now growing cold.

 
A saw-whet after release at our banding
station in northwest Arkansas.
July 19, 2016, 8:24pm
After several weeks of being too busy or too tired for saw-whets, I went out one last time before leaving Pennsylvania. Giving it a single round with the playback, we heard nothing at first, then what sounded like a quick skiiieeew, followed by a rapping on a hollow tree. The tree tapping already struck me as abnormal, but we were about to investigate anyway when a low, out-of-body sound came from the dark woods nearby. The second sound was vaguely human, but was definitely not normal for the middle of the woods after dark. I’m more about the tangible things in life, which is why cryptozoology has never interested me. That said, we decided driving back would be better than facing this creature and the potential saw-whet that was probably too high up anyway.

Thinking back on our efforts, I decided to reconsider them mostly successful. Hearing becomes as good as seeing in the last minute panic of birding. Not to mention in real ornithology, a detection is a detection whether it’s a sighting or merely hearing. I could find comfort in knowing two saw-whets called the beautiful riverine slopes home, though they still remain one of the greatest mysteries of this world. Relatively few people actually see saw-whets outside the nets of a banding station and those who have, either got lucky or tried much harder than I did, though I can hardly imagine that. My time for actually seeing a saw-whet on their breeding grounds has not come. I’ll keep dreaming and will find myself triumphant another day. In the mean time, I’ll just have to enjoy the capture of many in my nets back down south. 

The only saw-whet owl I would see in Pennsylvania; beautifully hand-carved and hand-painted by a local craftsman.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment